Grimes Chamber & Economic Development is closely monitoring the changing developments of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and its impact on our members and community.
We want to draw your attention to the Greater Des Moines Partnership’s Website (Link to https://www.dsmpartnership.com/covid-19). This site has resources, plans, and continually updated information. This is an ever-evolving situation, and it is important for us to continue to support local businesses and each other especially during challenging times.
Updates: *subject to change*
IEDA Announces COVID-19 Small Business Utility Disruption Prevention Program
Financial Assistance Now Available to Eligible Small Businesses for COVID-19 Utility Disruption
July 17, 2020 (DES MOINES) – The Iowa Economic Development Authority (IEDA) today announced the launch of the new Small Business Utility Disruption Prevention Program. The program will provide short-term relief to eligible small businesses and nonprofits that faced significant hardship in the payment of utility bills for service provided during the months of disruption to their business due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The program offers grants up to $7,500 to be applied to utility bill debt for eligible small businesses.
“Iowa’s small businesses and nonprofits keep our communities and our economy moving forward, and they have been hit hard in these unprecedented times,” said IEDA and Iowa Finance Authority Director Debi Durham. “We are proud to work with our utility partners statewide through this new program to help reduce the burden and position small businesses for recovery and growth.”
A funding allocation of $14.5 million from the CARES Act is available to IEDA for this initiative. To be eligible to receive assistance, businesses must have:
- a physical (non-residential) location in Iowa and 50 or fewer employees;
- not received funding from the IEDA’s Small Business Relief Grant Program;
- experienced a COVID-19 loss of revenue on or after March 17, 2020, that resulted in unpaid bills for electric or natural gas service provided between March 17, 2020, and June 30, 2020; and
- remained in operation or re-opened at the time of application.
For a full list of eligibility requirements, additional information and to apply, visit iowabusinessrecovery.com. Applications will be accepted between July 17, 2020, and August 21, 2020, or until funding is depleted, whichever comes first. Applications will be reviewed in the order received. Assistance will be awarded based on application completeness and eligibility until all funds have been exhausted.
Questions regarding the Small Business Utility Disruption Prevention Program can be submitted via email to email@example.com or by phone at 1.855.300.2342.
Governor Reynolds announced new guidelines surrounding the opening of businesses in Iowa during a press conference yesterday. Effective Friday, June 12 at 8 a.m., the 50% capacity limitation will be lifted. The six-foot social distancing requirement will remain in place for restaurants and other businesses. All businesses are asked to implement reasonable measures and increased hygiene measures in accordance with guidance from the Iowa Department of Public Health.
Additionally, swimming pools, senior centers and adult day care programs may open if in compliance with specific guidelines outlined in a new Disaster Emergency Public Health proclamation, found here.
Governor Kim Reynolds launches Test Iowa. Iowa was the 2nd state in the nation to deploy this initiative which includes an online health assessment and drive-thru testing locations. Test Iowa is a 3 step process to help asses your eligibility for testing.
Watch for symptoms
Reported illnesses have ranged from mild symptoms to severe illness and death for confirmed coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases.
The following symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure.
- Runny Nose
- Shortness of breath
- Loss of taste or smell
Grimes Chamber Member Churches Offering Virtual/Online Services:
- NorthPoint Church | Live Stream Services Every Sunday 9AM & 10:35AM on their Facebook Page | 515-986-0306
- St. Peter Lutheran Church of Grimes | Live Stream Services available on their Facebook Page | 515-986-3077
- Grimes United Methodist Church | Live Stream services Sundays at 8:30AM available on their Facebook Page or on their Vimeo Account | 515-986-4036
- Summitcreek Church | Live interactions on their Facebook Page | 515-207-9551
- Harvest Bible Chapel Des Moines | Services posted on their YouTube Channel and Facebook Page | 515-428-0029
- First Presbyterian Church of Grimes | Video messages posted on their Facebook Page | 515-986-3720
- Crossroads Community Church | Videos posted on their Facebook Page | 515-986-5433
Grimes Restaurants/Coffee/Convenience Stores Offering Drive-Thru, Takeout, Delivery & Dine-In:
Grimes Chamber Members:
Hacienda Vieja | 200 SE Gateway Dr Ste 106 Grimes, IA 50111 | (515) 986-3210 | Facebook | Hours of Operation: Mon-Thurs: 11AM-2PM; 5PM-8PM Fri-Sun: 11AM-8PM
✓ Takeout ✓ Delivery through DoorDash ✓ Dine-In
The Corn Patch Restaurant & Lounge | 309 E 1st St Grimes, IA 50111 | (515) 986-9013 | Facebook | Hours of Operation: Mon-Tues: Closed Weds-Thurs: 11AM-2PM; 4PM-9PM Fri: 11AM-10PM Sat: 11AM-10PM Sun: 11AM-8PM
✓ Takeout ✓ Dine-In
McDonald's Restaurant - Grimes | 101 SE Gateway Drive Grimes, IA 50111 | (515) 986-9182 | Facebook | Hours of Operation: Sun-Fri: 5AM-12AM Sat: 5AM-1AM
✓ Drive-Thru ✓ Delivery through Uber Eats & DoorDash
Rolling Wok Asian Cuisine & Pho | 3600 SE Crossroads Drive; Suite F Grimes, IA 50111 | (515) 300-9521 | Facebook | Hours of Operation: Mon-Thurs: 11AM-7PM Fri-Sat: 11AM-8PM Sun: Closed
✓ Takeout ✓ Delivery through GrubHub & Seamless
El Huapango | 3600 SE Crossroads Drive; Suite D Grimes, IA 50111 | (515) 986-0741 | Facebook | Hours of Operation: Mon-Sun: 11AM-8PM
✓ Takeout ✓ Order Online ✓ Delivery through GrubHub, Seamless, Toasttab & DoorDash ✓ Dine-In
Casey's General Store | 206 E 1st St. Grimes, IA 50111 | (515) 986-9245 | Hours of Operation: Mon-Sun: 5AM-11PM
951 SE Gateway Dr. Grimes, IA 50111 | (515) 986-4716 | Hours of Operation: Open 24 Hours
Subway | 1895 SE Grimes Blvd #107 Grimes, IA 50111 | (515) 986-9472| Hours of Operation: Mon-Sun: 10AM-6PM
Quik Trip | 1900 SE 37th St. Grimes, IA 50111 | (515) 986-5087 | Hours of Operation: Open 24 Hours
Stevie C's | 204 SE Main St. Grimes, IA 50111 | (515) 986-9004 | Hours of Operation: Sun-Thurs: 4PM-8PM Fri-Sat: 4PM-9PM
✓ Takeout ✓ Dine-In
GOVERNOR REYNOLDS ANNOUNCES ASSISTANCE FOR EMPLOYEES AND EMPLOYERS AFFECTED BY COVID-19 RELATED LAYOFFS
DES MOINES – Governor Reynolds today announced assistance for workers and employers impacted by layoffs related to COVID-19. The guidance includes information for employees filing for unemployment insurance claims, as well as information on programs available for employers.
“Iowa has incredible employers accommodating the needs of Iowans during the disruption caused by COVID-19,” said Gov. Reynolds. “The state of Iowa is doing everything we can to ease the process and shorten the time it will take for Iowans to receive unemployment benefits. All of our state agencies continue to work as one team to lessen the impact COVID-19 will have on our economy and our people.”
“Iowa Workforce Development is taking steps to reduce the impact of these claims on employers who have had to temporarily lay off staff due to closures or slowdowns,” said IWD Director BethTownsend. “IWD encourages all employers to utilize paid leave and telework options for employees before utilizing temporary layoffs. Iowa Workforce Development will continue to monitor the situation, working with our stakeholders and updates will be released on our webpage.”
Unemployment insurance claims:
- If you are laid off due to COVID-19 or have to stay home to self-isolate, care for family members or due to illness related to COVID-19, you can receive unemployment benefits, provided you meet all other eligibility requirements. Work search requirements will be waived. Those requirements essentially include working for wages from an employer who claims you as an employee in six of the last eighteen months and have earned at least $2,500 in the same time period. More specific explanation of benefit eligibility can be found at: https://www.iowaworkforcedevelopment.gov/2019-unemployment-insurance-claimant-handbook
- Claimants can expect to receive payment within 7-10 days after the date the claim is filed.
- Claims that are filed and identified as a direct or indirect result of COVID-19, will not be charged to employers. Fact-finding interviews for these claims will be waived and not be held although employers will be notified of claims received.
- IWD will process unemployment insurance payments to ensure payment will continue to be paid in a timely manner.
“The Iowa Workforce Development team is dedicated to providing assistance to employees and employers affected by COVID-19. Please do not hesitate to contact myself or our team for assistance at 1-866-239-0843,” said Director Townsend.
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT COVID-19 AND IOWA WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT
IWD COVID-19 page is updated as new information becomes available.
ACCE: Crisis Management Plans & Resources
- Crisis Management: Pandemic (Preparing and Responding to Coronavirus)
- Christina Moffatt (A small business owner herself) Shares insight during a trying time:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
COVID-19 in Iowa
The Iowa Department of Public Health
Governor Reynolds Issues State of Public Health Disaster Emergency (3/17)
U.S. Small Business Administration Loans Now Available In Iowa:
Facebook Small Business Grants Program: (Will be taking applications in the coming weeks)
Economic Injury Disaster Loan Program:
Fair Labor Standards Act Questions & Answers
Family and Medical Leave Act Questions & Answers